Sunday, February 24, 2013

Quiet

I have wanted to write more but everything seems so quiet.

I am still having a hard time excepting I am pregnant. I dont have a lot of symptoms. I tend to be tired a lot and have mild nausea sporadically. Embarrassingly, I took the last of our pregnancy tests yesterday just to make sure I am still nice and pregnant.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the role reversals in this pregnancy. Lauren carried J and I was quite content taking care of her and J during this time. I guess I would say I am more of the masculine one of the two of, not in a physical way but in more of a personality way. I am not one to sit by and let someone "take care of me", but I know at some  point I may need to surrender to this. I am a provider, a giver and maybe a self imposed martyr in this way. It is really all I know. I almost feel guilty knowing I will depend on Lauren as this pregnancy progresses.

I also find myself worried that I will not be as wonderful of a baby carrier as my wife Lauren. Pregnancy seemed to come to easily to her. Also, she went with hypnobirthing and had a beautiful, quiet labor with our son. I find it hard to quiet my mind in order to get into that space. I know I will go the midwife route and water birth at a birthing center, but I am not sure if I can be as quiet and centered as she was.

I am a true believer that we as women need to trust our bodies. We are meant to give birth. Our body was designed to do so. I do look forward to owning the birthing experience. Even with this is mind, I am very worried I will not be able to handle it in the way I want to. I know it is so early to have these fears but there they are.

If anyone reading this has had similar situation, I would love to hear your story.  What was it like for you to watch your partner carry after you carried or vice-versa??


2 comments:

  1. Every woman is different in how they carry and deliver. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it- you just do it the way that is meant for you. Pregnancy is one of those hold on to the reigns and enjoy the ride moments in your life. Do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only are you an excellent designer, you are pretty smart too! *WINK*

    ReplyDelete